Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I love this stuff!

My name is Lezlie Brady and I am a member of the Pleasant View 8th Ward. I was invited to post on this blog about some of my experiences with indexing and family history work. Thank you, Sister Crouch, for the invitation!

If you had asked me about indexing 3 years ago I would have looked at you with a distorted face and probably have something to say like...."me??? Index? you've got to be kidding!" To be honest, though, family history is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do. I just NEVER knew how to get started. I know--that sounds really ridiculous with all the help there is. I'm a mother of 4 complicated kids (who doesn't have complicated kids!), wife and homemaker. I guess I always made the excuse of being too busy to sit down and figure out how to get started on family history.

We were sitting in a special Sunday School class with the Crouch's making a presentation of indexing. Ah! Here was my chance to get some information. I got out my Sacrament program to write a few notes on right as I was passed a handout with detailed instructions on how to sign up with new.familysearch.org. I didn't even have to take notes. The only thing I had to do was obtain my membership number. I couldn't wait to get home and get started! And then, just like that I was signed up and perusing the website. It thrilled me to see my name in the family tree and the names of my family. It was amazing! I had actually gotten started. But my story has only just begun!

I figured out how to start indexing and was on my way. It was exciting to be part of the stake's indexing project. I taught my kids how to index also and they have enjoyed it too.
After indexing many names my curiosity got the better of me. It was amazing to me to be a part of such a monumental project. I felt a very sweet spirit as I entered name after name. I knew that I was helping somebody else find relatives.

I felt much more comfortable with the websites I was using to find information about my family so I started to really dive in. I went to my family tree in new.familysearch.org and followed a line as far back as possible. I found several names entered who had not had all temple work completed. Can I tell you how excited I was to reserve my first name for temple work?!!! I began by finding all those who needed sealings, reserved the names and took them to the temple with my husband. It was AMAZING! The temple had new meaning to me. I had a new purpose in temple attendance and I couldn't wait to get back to the computer to find more names.

I have seen miracles happen in my effort to find those who need work done. There are a couple of examples that really stand out in my mind.

One day I had been searching a line and came across a rather large family. I was just reading the names and thinking about their family life--with all those kids, and reading the cute names. I was just trying to imagine how their daily routine went. It was fun to think about but I moved on to the next family line. That night just as I was falling asleep I couldn't stop thinking about a particular name that kept coming to mind. I kept saying it over and over and really didn't know where it was coming from. I decided that I would check it out the next morning. I went in that next morning and researched this particular name and found that it had belonged to the family I had been looking at- the family with all the kids. This particular name had not had temple work done-- he had not been sealed to this very large family. He had been overlooked. So I went in to reserve the name and get him sealed to his family. When you do that it brings up some other detailed information including who has submitted the name. My grandma, who I was very close to and passed away about 5 years ago, had submitted this name. Not only had I felt led by the spirit to link this person to his family I also know that my grandma is near my side in this effort as well.

I knew I had to expand this effort and feeling to my kids. I went in and found several names who needed baptisms done. My first batch had about 50 girl names and about 35 boy names for baptism. It was such an amazing experience to take my children to the temple and watch them do the work. What a great way I have found to teach my kids the importance of temple work and get them started early attending the temple regularly. It also keeps me on my toes working to find names for them to take to the temple.
What a blessing this has been to me and my family. It all started with indexing.




3 comments:

  1. Lezlie is a great Indexer, but she is also the epitome of the perfect 'Family Searcher'. She got started by Indexing, and as the Spirit of Elijah entered her, her heart was turned to her own ancestors and she went to work on her family line and took those names to the temple AND involved her children in the process. What a success story and touching testimony! Thank you, Lezlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful information--hopefully it will inspire many who have not started on the Family History path and/or the Indexing path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, you are another Stake Member who exemplifies the perfect Family Search Indexer. You too have taken Indexing to the highest level and work tirelessly on that but also on your own family history and taking vast numbers of names to the temple. I would love to have you write a blog post too. Would you consider it?

    ReplyDelete